Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
The problem is that the magazine frame is too far away from the receiver. Remove the frame and make sure it is bottomed out against the inlet in the stock. There may be casting burrs or flaws protruding from the casting that holds it away. The easiest would be grind some off the bottom of the mag frame if this is the problem.
No! No! No!, it won't work! It was with high hopes that I disassembled my model 16 hoping to find some casting flash or a burr preventing the magazine frame from fully seating, but alas, such was not the case. Removing metal from the top of the mag frame to allow the magazine to bottom out against the receiver bottom doesn't seem to be the answer either. There is very little material above the pin that the mag latch pivots on and the amount of material I'd need to remove (from the purple area in photo) would open up or leave precious little material at the top of the hole the pin supporting the latch passes through.

You can see how far off from parallel the mag is in the mag frame.

I really think the easiest answer is to extend the mag catch a couple millimeters. Here you can see how much space exists when the mag is bottomed out in the frame.

I wonder if Savage would be kind enough to measure a new mag latch and provide me with the dimensions? If they are indeed made oversized I could fit it easier than tigging a build up on my existing latch. Needless to say the two I currently own will probably be the last Savage products I'll ever own and I can't get rid of these fast enough. There's a gun show coming up this weekend and I may be able to make this someone else's project. If anyone would like this rifle it's been fired approximately 40 times. It's yours for $400. I'm sick of screwing with sub standard crap!