The bloom is off the Savage rose for me. I've got a brand new model 16 .223 with a detachable mag and have the same feeding problem; won't pick up the last round in the magazine. I only got into Savage rifles in the last year and bought a model 10 Precision Carbine in .308 as well as the .223 model 16. Until buying the Savages I'd only owned and used a Winchester Model 70 (Pre 64) and a Ruger M77. Both the Ruger and the Winchester are controlled round feed and I've never had a feeding problem from either rifle. Ever. It seems to me that most push feed rifles all have feeding problems to some degree, (the Remington 700 seems less prone though) and to be fair, it's not just Savage. There are certain things that make a Savage rifle superior in some respects to other rifles, like the separate bolt head, the AccuTrigger and AccuStock and most importantly the barrel nut, but if it can't be made to feed reliably then that is a FATAL FLAW I can not live with. I'll probably sell the Savages and go back to controlled round feed rifles. I may be silly but I think a rifle should work when you buy it and that the customer shouldn't have to complete the manufacturing of the rifle. Not bitter just disappointed.