Quote Originally Posted by rdfrench
Quote Originally Posted by jeffman3

Will the nickle crack and split if I am trying to neck up 25-06 brass? I'm working on a project, and am considering all options. If I choose a 6.5-06 for my build; I will be using nickle cases to differentiate it from an-other 25-06 savage in the cabinet. I am concerned about mixing the ammo. I know 6.5 "shouldn't chamber" but it is close enough that I could see a mix up happening, at some point.
why not just use the nickel brass in the 25-06 and keep the plain for the 6.5
I will also add, that since you mentioned other shooters could use this or the 25-06, I would paint the base of the 6.5 cases with red ink or something similar so that THERE IS NO MISTAKE. If your wife or daughter accidentally loaded one of the 6.5 rounds into the 25-06, the result could be catastrophic. I would bet money that with a little extra force the rounds would chamber in the 25-06, but seriously doubt the bullet would make it out the muzzle.

I have 2 mini 14'a and have thought many times of making my Target model into a 6x45, but mixing up the ammo with the 223 stuff is one reason I haven't done it yet. The other is the availability of cheap 223 ammo. Right now my ammo is interchangeable and that would end, but that is a whole nuther thread. Like I said, paint one!