Quote Originally Posted by officejet
I guess what is not clear to me is the intended use for this rifle. A RUM, Edge, Lapua or 340 WM is foolish in any barrel less than 30" actually better in 34" or more.
If you want a "33", for many applications a 338 Federal in a light Kimber 22" OR a 338 Winchester in a 24" barrel rifle will do the job for 100% of hunting. If you want to shoot gongs at 1000-2000 yards, that's another story. (I won't get into "long range hunting" as it's a no win debate).
A Savage match action is more rigid than any open top. A 34" 3 groove nitrided barrel will shoot faster and last much longer and a $3400 scope brings it all together, if you need that capability. If not: "if you can't get it done with a 30-06 etc."
I'll disagree. My buddies 28" barrel shoots very well and doesn't leave a considerable amount of velocity over the 32" barrel I had. It all depends on where your accuracy node is. My buddy got his accuracy at a higher pressure, I had to back mine off a bit to get the same velocity.

A Yugo will get you to work, but to most people, they want something just because they want it. Need, is usually a secondary factor.

It's all just my opinion, and you know what everyone says about opinions. ::)