It looks as though I'm about to get hooked on this switch barrel habit and I'm a bit concerned about the cost of dies adding even more to the cost of each barrel/caliber. It cost me nearly $150.00 to "tool up" when I bought my .204, so I'm rethinking my choices of brands.
A few years ago, I decided to go to all Redding comp and 3-die sets,--both sets for some calibers. My 22-250 still shoots 1/2" using a Lee RGB set that I bought to get started with it and my .243 (Herters U-9) shoots 3/4" using the Herters Mark II dies that cost me $5 when I ordered the gun from Herters. Yeah, I know, I've got some gray hair--I've only been doing this since 1964.
So, what is the consensus about what is really necessary for lowest cost/best performance on the brand of dies? I hear good comments about the Lee collet dies and I can't complain about mine except for the odd-ball size and shape of the storage boxes and the fact that I'm not comfortable with those o-rings. I'd like to hear what the rest of you have experienced with the various brands of dies. Thanks, Steve