I don't use brakes on anything where I don't need them to shoot comfortably. To me they are just one more variable. You add something to the barrel that can potentially hurt accuracy, or it can increase accuracy, or it could not do either one. You're basically adding something that affects gas flow similar to how the barrel crown influences gas flow, as well as introducing a weighted object to the barrel which changes the harmonics. It all depends on how straight the muzzle is threaded, how precisely the brake is made, and how the barrel responds to the added device. I prefer to just keep it simple and forego them for most uses.

On the other hand, I have no problems with brakes, flash hiders, or porting and will use them when I feel they are of enough benefit to introduce that variable to the shooting system. For rifles, pistols or shotguns that recoil heavily, I am often willing to go to porting or a brake for more comfortable shooting. For ARs, AKs, and similar weapons I may employ for self defense, a flash hider than helps reduce the blinding muzzle flash in low light means more to me than a potential accuracy loss.