I have been reading on here of the nitride barrel treatment some of ya'll are using on your barrels and I have a couple of questions about it.

Can it be applied to chrome moly as well as stainless barrels?

Is it a finish, that is, once it has been performed on a rifle barrel or action do you need to apply a finish over it?

I have a Savage action that is chrome moly and is blued. It is a sporter weight rifle at the moment with a very thin barrel chambered in .300 WM. I am looking at rebarreling it with a heavier, longer stainless barrel and bedding it in a better stock. Not looking for a benchrest or varmint weight setup but more like a heavy sporter. What I am wondering is if I were to send the action and barrel off to be nitrided would it return with barrel and action looking the same despite being different materials and would it be a good exterior finish? I know the main benefit is the extended barrel life and less cleaning needed but it would sure be nice if it was also a good exterior finish and I could be done with both in one stop. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!