I bedded my first rifle a few weeks ago and it turned out fantastic. Being as enthused as I was, and seeing how "easy" it was, I thought I'd do another one. Last night I sorta rushed through the process and when I removed the receiver, I noticed a couple of voids in the bedding because I rushed and didn't take my time in filling all areas with sufficient Devon. That's not the problem because they can be easily filled in. What I did notice however was I may have not pushed the receiver down deep enough into the bedding compound. This is a Savage 10FP in a Choate stock, which has the aluminum blocks. From the looks of it, the ejection port is maybe .020 - .030 higher than the cutout in the stock. Checking the block, the receiver sits approx that high in it because that appears to be the level of Devon in there (hope this makes sense). This may have been this way from the start, without the Devcon, but since my memory is so poor, and I didn't pay particular attention to it in the first place, I don't know.

I'm going to reassemble the rifle tonight, and take it to the range on Saturday to see if I need to dremmel out the Devon and redo it. Have any of you set one in too high? I don't think it will matter, because there's perfect contact on the back of the recoil lug, and the receiver screws should crank everything down nice and tight, but none the less - I still wonder.

Any of you had this experience and what was the outcome?