Hey guys,
So I bought a used Savage in 30-06 last October and immediately ran into problems. The front action screw was hitting the bolt lug. I fixed that and took it out to shoot and it shot 6 inch groups at 100 yards! So then I glass bed and pillar bed the action. That reduced the groups to 2.5 inches. I decided that the barrel was worn out. So I bought a Shilen. I took my action wrench and tried to remove my factory barrel. I could not get the barrel to hold in my vise. Since the barrel was already worn I took it over to my bench grinder and made the barrel flat on its sides so it would hold in the vise better. The vise broke after I put a cheater bar on the wrench. It still didn't budge. I was planning on saving the barrel nut but at this point, I just wanted the barrel off. I had to cut it off with a Dremel. The barrel was finally free but the recoil lug stayed on the action. It was welded on! Reluctantly, I decided to cut it off since I bought a heavy recoil lug for the new barrel. I believe that the barrel nut was too. Has anybody else had these problems when changing a barrel? I hope that this is the last of my problems. The new barrel is not on yet since I am now waiting on my new barrel nut.