I'm still a ways off from doing a barrel swap on my 110. I have the barrel nut wrench and I just ordered a complete magnum bolt assembly from Midway to do my 30-06 to 300 win mag conversion. I will be getting my EGW picatinny scope base today and was considering bedding the scope base. I am wondering if I even need to bed the base. I just bought a kokopelli scope lapping and alignment kit so either way, that sucker will be perfectly aligned. It will house a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50.

Will I have to remove the scope base to do the barrel change? Will my action wrench fit? If I do bed it, I should be able to remove the scope base with a little positive encouragement, correct; or will the screws be permanently fused to the receiver? I suppose I could add some greae or shoe polish to the mounting screws.

Any tips or "gotcha's" that I need to know about? I don't plan on buying any more Savages but who knows.....

This one is slated to be a switch-barrel gun between 308, 30-06, 270 and 300 WM. It's going to remain 30-06 until this year's hunting season is over, then I will do the 300 WM conversion and eventually get the 308 barrel next year. I am leaning toward the Criterion barrels.

Tony.