My wife and I shot 4 AL whitetail last year out of our garden. She got hacked off because they were eating her bushes in the front yard too! All our shots were with Rem 140gr Core-Lokt bullets, double lung shots, BEHIND the fore leg/shoulder area. All were DOTS(dropped on the spot), and no shoulder meat was lost. I shoot Hornady SSTs (Hornady Light Mag 308) in my Rem 700 Sendero 26" @ 3000fps with the same result. I try to aim at least 10" behind the front leg vertical plane if possible. My sole deer this year was an old 7pt buckin my greeenfield following some does that I shot off-hand with my wife's Ruger Compact 7mm-08 @90 yds(porch to back fence). It went about 30 yds, collapsing as it tried to jump the fence. It also was a double lung shot, a little higher than I like, but it was a standing unsupported shot on a moving deer. If you want to see meat destruction-shoot a deer with a 220 swift or a 300 Weatherby Mag. I guy in my old club used a 300 Weatherby( on 100 lb AL deer!) and lost both shoulders and still had to track some deer w/ 5" exit wounds! I killed 2 the same day with a 222 Rem that were dead in their tracks in the green field(neck shots). Bullet placement will save your meat.