Hey everyone,
I've been lurking for the past few days and after some pretty exhaustive searching I've come up with nothing on this question. I dont own a savage but am looking to build a new hunting rig in 270WSM from a 16FCSS accustock and then at some point in the future getting a Shilen re-barrel in either varmint or bull contour and going all out on a precision long range rifle. Anyways, I read a lot on other sites about savage stocks or rather the lack thereof for the new centerfeed accustock rifles, coincidentally in my searching I came across a tactical build by a guy on another forum that involved some extensive modifications to a non accustock savage. That got me thinking, is there anyone lurking out there who has modified their accustock using some form of bondo/fiberglass/aramid/ or carbon fiber?
My goal with my upcoming rifle would be to dremel off the better part of the plastic forearm of the accustock ahead of the DBM leaving only a little bit of the plastic skeleton and the aluminum spine and then bonding on a polyurethane foam block and basically hand shaping it into a new forearm to more or less imitate an HS Precision or Mcmillan tactical forearm and maybe make the pistol grip a little wider and possibly a monte carlo cheek piece, then laying it up with some kevlar and carbon fiber, bondo... sand... paint... done. I know I could probably get a varmint or tactical wider forearm accustock but frankly, it bugs me that the shape is basically a sporter profile with big cheeks. I like the nice chunky vertical pistol grip of the HS and Mcmillan and I also like the hefty forearm which Savage Accustock, even the varminter and tactical ones, does not have. I know to use epoxy suitable for urethane foam, so thats not my question if it can be done, but more if anyone has some similar projects already done to start me in the right direction. So anyways, calling all frankenstocks, I want to see what can be done.