Bull season opened Oct. 3, my wife had drawn a tag. We were on several bulls, guides came in with clients and cut us off repeatedly, blocking public acces roads, fish and wildlife would not do anything, buddies with the guides. Wife was really upset and they shot a 7x8, and 6x6 out from under us. I tried to calm her down, told her we would do the right thing, no matter what the other people were doing, have faith and things would work out like they were supposed to. We ended up pinned in a small corner of the area we were hunting, with a bull answering my bugle and cow calls right at dark, 2 minutes of shooting light left and a small 4x4 came out and saw the guides and vehicles, circeled through the timber and popped up in front of my wife and she nailed him with a neck shot, 80yds. Dropped in his tracks. Weighed about700 live weight, 330 hanging rack at the meat processers, ready to cut. I am really proud of her, we have practiced a lot, and I know its not a bow, but she hunts hard and earns every animal. WE saw it as the hunt of a lifetime with a friend and her brother, to take a elk here in KY, bugle and call them in, and hunt fair chase and with ethics. ELk Fillet Mingon wrapped in bacon for supper tonight, portabella mushroom and gravy, wild rice on the side. Just wanted to share with you all. I had built her a Savage 110, stock to fit her, 4x12 Burris, .270 w/muzzle brake. I trued and bedd action, heavy duty ss/lug. Would shoot 3/4 inch or better all day with Hornady factory 150g. Interlocks. She could keep then in 3-3&1/2 inches at 300yds of cross sticks sitting.
Bullet broke neck, came out back of neck, into the chest and heart/lungs. Elk was standing pointing downhill, did a number. And to top it off, we jus slid him down a steep hill 200 yds to the trailer and off we go!