I'll admit I haven't paid much attention to what all savage has been doing the last couple years with actions. I have all the staggerfeed actions I need (for now), so I ignored all the new info. But my dad wants to buy a new savage, and I'm not sure what the new line-up consists of. Did savage completely do away with the 4.25" short action on all, even the stevens? What about the fcxp3 combo guns that had the original crappy clip? 4.4" is the new short length and they are all centerfeeds now, right? How about the mags? Am I understanding right that the centerfeeds come either as a blind mag, hinged floorplate, or a detachable box? And I see that Fred has a universal mag conversion. Is it different from the savage dbm? What would be the advantage of replacing an original dbm with the sss version? Are the savage mags and the sss mags interchangable? I like the idea of a 10 round mag, but I'd also like to be able to use the factory flush-fit mag for woods hunting. If I wanted to use a stagger-feed short action for a build, I would need to have a stock made for a 4.4" centerfeed action, inletted for the dbm, then oblong the front hole a bit and that would allow use of the sss mag frame and magazines? Or buying a current manufacture dbm model would allow a straight swap, right? I'm confused as to why someone would swap over to a different frame if the gun already has a detachable mag, especially since sss sells high cap mags for the dbm. What have I missed?