Thread: Advice converting 110 Varmint from 22-250 to 20 Practical

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice converting 110 Varmint from 22-250 to 20 Practical

Greetings all, new member here. Being retired and enjoying minor gunsmithing, reloading, and shooting, after talking with a friend, I decided maybe I need a new project.

I have a brand new 110 Varmint heavy barrel, blued, black synthetic stock mdel#57067 (i think). Bought maybe 5-6 yrs ago? Bought for a good price but never fired it. I have a Rem 788 22/250 for coyotes and its a beater and light so easy to carry around and don't care if it gets dinged up.

Anyway, thought of trying to sell the Savage but then got the idea from friend to do a barrel swap cartridge conversion. This would be a "bench" gun for targets and varmints. Guy said to try 20 Practical which he really likes as far as accuracy and simplicity of loading. I guess you can use 223 dies with a smaller neck bushing and 20 cal decapper/inside neck expander. Thats how I came to choosing the cartridge, but now for some questions.

So the 110 is a Long action correct?? some say "could" also be short action??

Looking at Pre-Fit barrels, how do I know long or short shank??

Should I order a new barrel nut?

Since the model 110 I have also came in 223 and 204 I assume a 223 magazine would be plug and play??

I'll need a new bolt head for 223 which is where I'm most confused. I don't think I've seen a bolt head that states 223 Long Action? Some sites say .400 dia firing pin?? I guess I would buy a "kit" for bolt head that has new extractor, plunger and springs?? I just so far have not seen a bolt head that hits me as yeah thats it.

Anyway, I was directed to come here to hopefully get my questions answered and get whatever advice you guys may want to share. Forgive me if I tend to over-think some stuff.

So please fell free to jump in with any tips or places I can find the parts I need. Does Savage sell parts? I couldn't find link on their site. I see Pacific Tool and Guage has some pricey bolt heads that may require fitting. I'm thinking others would be plug and play??

I better stop this as probably some guys dropped off already reading my jibberish.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by J.Baker; 05-01-2024 at 12:50 AM. Reason: edited to make this easier to read