Hi All,
New here and 1st time posting here.
I have 2 great old Savages (70s vintage) I purchased in my younger days. One a 112V in 25-06 (single shot) and the other a 112R (repeater) in 22-250.
Both outstanding P. Dog rifles. Was a shooter years ago in the 1st Colorado P. Dog shoot that captured the News media and activists! To Say The Least!!!
Anyway, I have it in my head to build a .35 Whelen rifle and use the 25-06 as the donner rifle. I recently picked up an E>R> Shaw Kit = SS 24" Barrel, pre chambered, Magnum Contoured barrel, Headspace Gages, and wrench from Midway USA cheaper than just the same barrel from E.R. Shaw. A bit of a wait till they came back in stock, so I had time to think over my plan.
I have since changed my mind about messing with my 112V 25-06 (couldn't bear the thought).
Since that, I have decided to buy another 110 rifle for the swap.
Finally, to the question-- I have looked at the Axis types and not really impressed - cheesy stock -poor fit, etc.
It's hard to locate a decent wood stocked 110. I also (yesterday at local gun show) saw the newer Remington 783 that uses a Savage Barrel nut system??? What's up with that?
Any suggestions on what to do. The .35 Whelen is just a whim & a "need one" & will probably do some lead plunk'in & Maybe some hunting but not precision. I'm 73, so precision is merely luck - LOL!!
Thanks
Any comments will be appreciated.
Roy