I’m asking here because the 10/110 is the last I’ve done, but it could be asked of any Action. When I redid my Model 10 last year, I used a Mirage URL Chassis, which had an recess opening for the recoil lug. The lug was perfectly flat against the back portion of the opening, and had something like another 1/4”’of free space in front. I use a .250” Recoil Lug, which was like .249” when I measured this time, after cleaning & sanding it again. I measured the width of the recess and machined another piece of Billet Aluminum. Surfaced it to the exact amount of the recess, less the .249” for Lug. I believe I also surfaced an additional .002” because I hadn’t Cerakoted the Lug at that point. I made certain the semi circle opening of the spacer was undersized so it could NOT make any contact with the Barrel nut. I then epoxied the Aluminum spacer on the front surface of the recess opening, thus bedding the Recoil Lug front & rear. The Chassis already had an exquisite fit. The Action sits very low and is very tight fitting. I actually did have to use my Dremel & a tiny bit to remove just a small amount of material so the rear tang was floated properly. And I had to machine the center edge bevels in the rear shoulder stock leg portion as the BAS was hitting, which would lift the whole bolt upward upon racking back. This is due to the Titanium BAS I use which has a slightly different shape from the factory BAS.

Just wondered, for sake of a tech talk, if anyone else Beds their recoil lug? It’s one of those fairly contested topics. I’ve read of people bedding them traditionally, using tape to take up the unwanted free space, others using perfectly flat machined spacers as I have & of course, those who believe it’s “taboo”, or not “necessary”, which is a completely fair argument. What are some thoughts? I know we’ve had bedding convos here. But I can’t remember ever hearing anything on the bedding the Recoil Lug specifically. Please understand, I’m not looking for advice. I’ve already done what I believe is correct for my situation. Like I said, just thought it’d be an interesting conversation; hearing everyone’s opinion. And if you go into your own bedding ritual or have a story, I’d love to hear it. Maybe here from some of the newer members who have joined the last several months. Here are a few pics showing what I did. And just as I’ve included, pictures are most welcome!

The .250” Recoil Lug along side the machined Aluminum Spacer.

The spacer installed with the Recoil Lug. The Lug is snug* but not overly tight. After Cerakoting I did have to use light sandpaper to fit it perfectly, so the Action now comes free with just a bit of “Persuasion”, LOL!