So here’s the scoop. I spent about 25 minutes on the phone with Savage the other day. I gave the nice young lady several part numbers (trigger components), or which I’m just concerned with the Sear. Explained my situation, that I’m a hobby builder/gunsmith, but not an FFL. She put me on hold and spoke to someone, and the reply was the same. I then asked if I could speak to her supervisor to explain the situation. I spoke to a Nick and went through the same speak. Explained to him I’m not going to send them an Action to install trigger components…that I would gladly sign any release they needed, etc. He told me although it used to be like that in the past, their new system must have an FFL # to process certain parts; that it was a lockout, he explained. So we are hosed on that.

I decided I’m just going to make my own Sear/Bolt release. They are insanely simple components. Look at one, and imagine it flat. Just need to cut/shape the pattern from steel, drill the holes & fold to shape. Heat treat/temper & I use another tool I made to stone the proper angle of the release surface. I have some .080” 4130 Alloy sheet I think will work nicely. I can through harden instead of case hardening, so won’t need to worry about it. I am very grateful to have a knowledge of metallurgy.

Any thoughts?

This is the one I’m making.