Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
Welcome. Where in NM?

The 7mmRM is a great round for long range hunting. The rifle should do well.

I like the Hornady ELD-X and ELD-M bullets. They did well in my .223, 6BR and .308Win. I'd try them and maybe some Federal with Sierra Game Kings.

Accuracy will depend on finding the right load and you. Pretty sure the rifle will do 1MOA or better. The recoil will take a bit of getting used to. I'd recommend only shooting a few rounds at a time. The slim barrel also means it will heat up faster so 3 round groups is what you should start with. So, shoot 3. Take a break. Shoot 3. Take another break. etc. If you feel or see a flinch then stop and regroup, or even pack up for the day.

I'd recommend a good recoil pad. I use one even when just shooting my .308 with heavy loads (175 and 210gn bullets). Mine is a PAST magnum and it works really well.
Las Cruces, NM. Looks like you are in my neck of the woods. Small world!

Yes I’m going to try the ELD-X and I will look into the federal you recommended. See which the gun likes better, at least for now until I start reloading.

For recoil, I’ve already installed a limbsaver pad, but I was also thinking about a muzzle break. The barrel isn’t threaded so I’d have to try and trust a gunsmith with the task of threading. Makes me nervous. I’ll likely take it out first and see if the pad is enough and the flinching away.