I am in the process of building a rifle in 6.5x57 Mauser, and have been debating on several different actions to serve as a donor. I initially planned on using an older Remington 700 BDL, but recently picked up an Interarms Mark X in .243...seems the Mauser action would be ideal for the old Mauser round. The more I think about it, though, the less I want to spend on what becomes just another hunting rifle in an already overloaded safe. Plus, having either action rebarreled gets fairly expensive quickly, so I have been considering other options.

Today, I came across an older Savage 110 in .308, with what appears to be an aftermarket synthetic stock (not the typical Savage tupperware) and lighter contour barrel. Looks like it would be the perfect donor, as I can simply rebarrel myself (once I locate the correct reamer). Question is, other than mag length, are there any other differences between the Savage 110 actions for long and short action cartrdges? The 6.5x57 is more of an intermediate length cartridge, and would be best served by a long action.

I already have 10x boxes of S&B 6.5x57 hunting ammo, just need to get a rifle together!