Hello. First time poster, long time reader here. I’ve got a heavy barrel 243 in a bedded Boyd’s Pro Varmint with a 2lb Rifle Basix trigger. I’d like to be able consistently print 5 shot groups averaging under 1 MOA (or 3/4, or 2/3, or 1/2 but maybe I’m being greedy) for informal indoor range sessions at 100 yards. Handloading is out of the question, so it’s factory ammo for me. I’ve tried at least 7 or 8 types, and only 2 have performed at acceptable levels; 95 grain Remington Premier Accutip (which is out of stock everywhere right now) and Dynamic Research Technologies 80 grain, which is also hard to find but not impossible.

I’m thinking why should I keep trying to chase down mediocre 243 ammo? They don’t make match ammo, it’s mostly a hunting round. I could just have a gunsmith rechamber in 6mm creedmoor that has lots of factory match ammo available. Also thinking of getting one of those new Jard triggers that can be adjusted under 1 lb (I can’t get my rifle basix safely much below 2lb).

So that’s my situation, what do you all think? What’s the best twist rate for 6mm cm? I imagine IÂ’d be shooting the hornady match 108grain. Am I on the right track to turning my Axis into a sub-MOA tack driver? On the other hand, does anyone know any accurate factory 243 offerings?

I would greatly appreciate any input from you all. I know that this is one of the best sources for info on Savages on the web.

Thanks

Steve