About 5 years ago I picked up a 99 308, serial 94X,XXX (early 60s if I remember?), with the cartridge counter, rotary mag, walnut stock, and what appears to be factory scope holes (Savage lettering on side). The stock has a crack with an ugly repair above the rear sling swivel but it's sturdy, and the bluing shows the age but there's no rust it's a nice shooter. I love this thing and wanted to take it with me for archery elk in case I see a bear so I'd like to put a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32mm scope on it that I have. I really like irons but where I'm going hunting we see about 30% of the bears at 200+ yards, the rest are usually less than 100 yards. With my luck I'd probably get a 300 yard shot and wish I had a scope.

What I'd really like is to use the old Weaver pivot scope mount or the bases that are taller with openings so I can use the irons if I want, but I can't figure out the height in the listings I see on ebay. The problem is the bell on the objective will sit right on top of the rear iron and Leupold's site says to use their one piece 99 base with the medium height rings for their 33mm VX Freedom. The medium rings may or may not clear the rear sight. I read on here that going with high rings or taller is a problem for cheek weld and I can see why. If anyone has mounted a scope this size with irons which rings and base did you use? Is it worth trying to use irons and a scope?