Ok, so here's my dilemma, I have a beautiful 26" Savage varmint contour Carbon Six barrel chambered in .284 Winchester. The throat is longer than other standard short-action cartridges, so I will need a long action. I am using a 116 top bolt release action and want to go blind magazine if possible.

Savage 110
TBR
Heavy barrel channel
Blind magazine

There are exactly 2 stocks on planet Earth that will drop in. 1) Archangel at 4.8 pounds
2) Choate tactical at about 6 pounds
both have huge barrel channels that are too large for the Varmint contour barrel from C6.

The purpose of having a carbon wrapped barrel is to save weight. My first inclination was to mate the barrel to a Big Horn Origin action so I could use Remington type stocks. Then I found that just because the thread pattern is the same, there are actually some differences between a Savage action and a Zermat action where the chamber headspaces. Maybe similar to the difference between a Savage pre-fit and a Marlin XL7 pre-fit?? Is this correct??

So then if I have to stay with the 116 action, who can I get to inlet something like an MPI blank, because that's the only way I'll get the combination I have laid out above.

Yes, I've heard McMillan will build you one, but I don't want to wait nearly a year to get that unsightly flat-, wide-bottomed thing they offer for the Savage (at least the only one that comes up when I search).

There are some chassis available, and one that is lightweight...until you add the buffer tube, stock, and magazine required to make it function. Other chassis are double, triple, and quadruple that already steep price.

I thought I could find a laminate I could sand down to accommodate the barrel, but even Boyd's and Hogue only have DBM styles available. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax. Adding more parts and weight isn't my desire.

I would even be willing to use the single shot Target action and single feed a short action, but to my knowledge, no one makes a stock to fit the Target action. HS Precision did, but when I search it, the site takes me to an archive page like the model is out of production. He's aren't really light, either. Again, McMillan??

So what stocks are guys putting all these Target actions available out there on?

There has to be an old-fashioned gunsmith who actually inlets stock blanks to fit specific barreled action, right?

As popular as Savage rifles are, this shouldn't be this difficult. I found some threads from years ago discussing this sort of thing, but is there nothing new out there??

Any help (if there is any that can be had) will be greatly apprecited.

I suppose I could get a Boyd's and find the DBM bottom metal and install a detachable magazine, then hope there's enough room to sand the barrel channel out to fit before I get into the front sling swivel stud anchor nut in the barrel channel.I'm RIGHT AT it when I inlet for the Criterion heavy sporters.

What to you do for a .300 Mag build, or even .30-06??

Thanks for your responses!