As I mentioned on another thread, I'm planning to build a left-hand 7.62x39mm. I have a spare left-hand 110 long action but have reluctantly decided that I will need to build this on a short action, so I'm preparing to buy one or a sacrificial gun (.308 or .243) to convert to 7.62x39mm.

Some questions:

I've read that the .308 (and .243) bolt face will probably work for the 7.2x39, especially if I get an enhanced extractor kit. Does anyone know for sure? And, does the enhanced extractor kit work for left-hand and right-hand bolts? I've never actually seen one, only read about them.

Also, if I get a stock that takes AICS magazines, will an AICS .308 magazine reliably feed 7.62x39mm? I've looked at Sniper's Hide and several other gun boards where 7.62x39 is discussed, and the consensus seems to be "It should work," but no one seems to be saying, "Yes, I've tried it and it works." Does anyone know for sure?

For a barrel, I'm thinking I want a .308 with Lapua chamber, probably 18". Any thoughts on what barrel profile I should get? I'm trying to keep this as light as possible, and I doubt that an 18" barrel is going to be whippy, but I don't want the barrel any heavier than needed. Thoughts?

Any experiences, good or bad, with barrel makers? Should I be considering one of the carbon-wrapped barrels?

Finally, if I have to buy a new stock (I may use the original stock if I convert a .308 or .243), what are some recommendations? I don't want one of the hollowed-out plastic featherweights but it doesn't need to be a heavyweight benchrest behemoth. I'd like this gun to be practical for a woods walker.

Any personal experience and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Whisper