I have a very nice Brownell's action wrench that was custom fit for Savages and will also do Remington, Mauser, M1 Garand and M1A actions. But, the thing is HUGE and very heavy. I wanted a lightweight field kit to use at the range with my one and only Axis switch barrel rifle, but couldn't find anything small and light. I have a Wheeler barrel nut wrench kit that came with a smooth barrel nut wrench as well as the slotted one and have used the smooth one to disassemble new smooth nut acquisitions, then replacing the smooth nut with a slotted one.

The idea to try the smooth barrel nut as an action wrench, for rifles that have already had the gorilla torqued factory nuts loosened, sort of popped into my head. Sure enough, it works great. I did replace the bolt that came with it that had snapped on the first use, with a grade 8, other than it is stock. I can get the nut plenty tight and it fits easily into my rifle bag along with a slotted barrel nut wrench. Nine Pounds vs 20 ounces! I may post a photo later. When using it on Savages with the recoil lug between the barrel nut and the action, you would have to remove the trigger assembly which is a bit of a pain to say the least. I realized this AFTER I had originally tested it for fit on an Axis and a bare 110 Action! I went to try it on a barreled 110 and the inability to slide the wrench over the recoil lug became rather apparent.

This listing on Midway shows the wrench combo I have.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006552646?pid=288765

Have any of you ever used one that way?