Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
What separates the Ackley Improved from other savages 10/110?
Nothing - other than you'll typically have to do some fiddling with the feed lips on your magazine box to get them to feed properly.

As for the OP's question about a dedicated board, not going to happen as there's just not enough Ackley talk to justify it - and the topics that would come up regarding Ackley's (feeding and reloading) is already represented by other boards.

As yobuck pointed out, there's really nothing "special" about the Ackley Improved cartridges that makes them unique amongst cartridges. Once the parent case is fire-formed in an Ackley chamber it's the same as sizing/reloading any other cartridge. Only thing you might have to contend with is a doughnut forming at the base of the neck, but that's not exactly unique to the Ackley cases.

As for forming brass, it's pretty simple:

1. Run your new parent case brass through your FL Ackley die. This will set the neck/shoulder position back as the steeper shoulder angle usually necessitates the neck/shoulder junction being moved back a bit creating a slightly longer neck.

2. Fire-Form your brass (couple options here)

1. Load up your brass with standard parent case loads and shoot in your Ackley chambered barrel to blow out the shoulders.
  2. Load up with a small charge of a pistol powder (I generally use Bullseye or Blue-Dot), fill the rest of the case with some old corncob or walnut tumbling media, then plug the case mouth with wax or bar soap. This is the "money saver" method as you aren't using much powder or a bullet, but you'll have to experiment with your charge weight to figure out just how much powder is needed to fully form the brass.

When I built my first AI rifle some 16 years ago I started off using the latter method to form my brass with the pistol powder, but can't say I've used that method at all in the last 10 years or so.