I figured this would be a good place to post about the rifle I'm putting together. I picked up a new Axis action, as far as I know it has never been assembled into a rifle. The action is sitting at my FFL right now, should be able to pick it up before Christmas.

I know, it's an Axis. You can pick them up for $300 and change complete rifle, there's better actions to build on, etc. But I enjoy working on them, I appreciate the experience moreso than how much money I can get back out if it. I rarely sell my rifles and on the rare occasion that I do, I usually take a hit anyways. I will be doing some work to the action to make it a little better too. So now that's out of the way...

I am going to make, for lack of a better term, a "precision trainer" out of it. Something that is cheap to shoot, reload for and likely get shot quite a bit. The plan is to build it into a 223AI, 1:7 - 1:8 twist, geared towards the heavier end of the 224 cal spectrum in bullet weight. I got the action for pretty cheap, picked up a bolt with 223 bolt head. Now I'm trying to do a little more research before delving into the the most important/expensive parts, the barrel, trigger and stock.

I had originally planned on using a MDT LSS chassis, but I think I have instead settled on an Oryx instead. It looks like a solid chassis and comes with a decent, adjustable stock assembly. It's ready to roll out of the box for AICS/MDT 223 mags. I plan to run metal AICS mags as I can work with the feed lips if the 223AI cases don't want to feed as well as standard 223.

I'm hoping to get some insight from you all here that have more experience with the platform than I do. The big thing is, the barrel... I have a lot of nice, high end expensive barrels on different rifles. Rock Creek, Kreiger, Brux, Douglas, etc. I want a good, solid barrel on this rig. But I don't really think I need a Bartlein or Proof carbon for what it is. I've looked at McGowen, X-Caliber, etc. All the big pre fit barrel makers, I'm leaning towards NSS Criterion. I have a Criterion barrel on an AR, great shooter. I've also considered Preferred Barrel Blanks, but don't know much about them? They can pretty much make me exactly what I want at a similar price to NSS.

Im thinking 1:7.5, 223AI chamber, 24-26", Hvy Varmint contour, 5/8-24tpi muzzle threads. Pretty simple, nothing crazy. I want to be shooting mostly 80-90gr bullets, I'm especially interested in Berger's 80.5gr and 85.5gr offerings. I would like to run Lapua 223 brass if I can ever find any, lol. Bad as small rifle primers to find right now, but I'll hold out. Have plenty of good 223 brass on hand to get started.

The trigger is my final conundrum, I have seen various offerings from Timney, Jard, etc. I know I'll have to get a factory "trigger hanger/frame" to run the Timney and some others. The Hard looks to come with it's own, but is a bit more $$$. Hoping to get some insight on this as well.

Other than that, the only other major thing is that recoil lug. I'm just not a huge fan of the factory Axis recoil lug. I'm on the fence about either machining the face myself, "I have access and experience to lathes and Mills", having my local Smith machine the receiver face down for me, or just sending it off to SSS for their true and time service. I'll have to have the components together and study on that a bit more before I make that call.

Anyway, thanks for reading through my giant post. I will probably post progress pics as I go here on this post. Should have the action and bolt in hand by Wednesday, looking forward to putting another one together. The Savage 10/110 actions have a big following and I have shot against them and we're impressed by the accuracy and now I think it's time I build some. I am a shooter and collector I guess, though I collect rifles I build myself to fit a certain niche. This Axis is next on the list, hoping my son will take to it and long range shooting. I figured this would be better than my big, heavier recoil rigs and ARs.