I'm getting ready to change a barrel on a 270 that I've had for about 20 years. The old barrel just doesn't shoot as well as I think it should (2MOA) with any load I've tried. I have a new 270 barrel that I'm confident will shoot the way I want.

My daughter is about ready to start shooting something beyond her .22. Since I already have an extra barrel, an extra stock, and everything to load a 270, I was thinking of chopping off the old barrel to about 18", trimming up an old stock to better proportions for her, and loading some light 270 loads. I figure on switching the barrrels for her/me. I have a few questions about making this into a switch barrel rifle.

First, when you switch barrels is there ever an issue with fitting the action back into a tightly pillar-bedded stock. I'm guessing that there won't really be any issues, but thought I'd ask someone with experience.

Second, if I develop a load for one barrel that is relatively close to the lands, would I have issues when i switch back to that barrel? I'm guessing that I'll have to stay off the lands a way's to avoid any pressure issues.

I appreciate any thoughts from someone with experience. I know the best approach is to buy another rifle, but I'd rather hold off until I know she'll actually shoot the rifle. Thanks for your help.