Quote Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
The idea of replacing a rifle barrel put a question in my head. How many rounds would it take to warrant replacing the barrel (2,000, 10,000)? I've seen the "tack drivers" being shot at my local gun range and they might put a round through every 5 minutes (letting the rifle cool between shots) in the course of several hours there. It seems to me that a person would have to spend a lot of hours per year shooting.
That depends on several factors. Things like cartridge/caliber, velocity, powder type and charge, among other things.
You get something that is low pressure and low velocity, you might get a very long life. While if you shoot a small caliber bullet very fast, that will shorten the life of a barrel.
You take something like a 22LR, the round is so low pressure and slow, the barrel will almost last forever. While you take something like a 22-250 and push light bullets and lighting speed, barrel life will suffer.
I have a 6mm-284 that was my grandfathers. That caliber is known to be a "barrel burner". It has a lot of powder behind a small light bullet.