Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
I've read a lot about the Weatherby MKV over the years too. Again, I am by no means an expert. But from the measurements I've read, I just don't see what makes the MKV so much stronger. The measurements I've read on the locking lugs shows no more bearing surface area of them than with two large locking lugs. The receiver ring and barrel shank are the same size as a Remington or Savage. Not trying to argue, just thinking out loud based on what I've found.

I've spoken recently with other guys who shoot Savage Lapuas and have a lot more rounds through theirs than I do mine. They have not found any increase in headspace or any indication of lug setback. There are many factors unknown that could come in to play. I'm wondering if the users who've had issues have either been shooting hand loads that are way too hot, well over max, or if they've got too much oil in their chamber that they didn't clean out. This could cause issues with any size cartridge due to the case not being able to grip the chamber walls upon firing and causing too much bolt thrust. I always swap my chambers with a degreaser after cleaning and prior to firing them.

Also, as litigious as society is, and as hard as the left is trying to shut down the firearm industry, 2nd amendment, etc, I can't for the life of me understand why Savage wouldn't recall them, issue warnings, and stop production of them if there was any indication that they were too dangerous/unsafe to operate. Again, if someone were to try a Lapua on a standard Savaqe action, I'd say yeah they're asking for trouble. But with the actions Savage makes that are specifically for the Lapua, I've yet to see anything detrimental. I'd like to see photos of the actions and their lug recesses that are claimed to have setback, as well as know what loads they were using, and if they had oil in their chamber or not.
Well you do have the opinion of one professional gunsmith who if anything has earned a reputation with Savage products.
That should at least cause enough concern in my opinion to be asking those questions to other professionals.
As for a specific action, my grandson has a 308 model FCP if my memory is correct.
It was available in 2 different chambering, 308 and 338 Lapua.
So other than the boltface, was the 308 a different action than the Lapua?