I recently purchased a model 99 300 savage. It is in good condition, barrel looks like new. I made my own brass out of some 308 Remington brass I had laying around. After testing a dummy round (five times) for chambering issues and COAL, I loaded up some test rounds using Reloader 17, CCI primers, and Hornady 165 gr. SST's. I used the data provided in the Hornady Tenth Edition reloading manual. It shows 40.3 grains as the starting load and 45.1 grains as the hottest load. I shot the 40.3 grain load and I couldn't extract the case without jamming it with a cleaning rod.

Thinking maybe the Remington brass is thicker than the Hornady brass the Hornady people used to develop load data, I reduced the load range down to 32 grains of Reloader 17 (starting load) to 35 grains. The 32 grain load worked ok, but velocity was only 1900 ft. per second. I went to the next load (.5 grains higher.) pretty much the same as the first one. I stepped up, .5 grains at a time until I reached 34.5 grains, and had excessive pressure again. Velocity was only 2100 ft. per. sec.

I've been reloading for 50 years, and have never seen a load with lots of pressure, but no velocity. The bullet is not touching the lands. It's way back because of magazine requirements.

I can only think of two possible reasons: (1) The brass is thicker and won't let the bullet out easily enough, and (2) the powder is burning too fast, igniting way before the bullet nears the end of the barrel.

I considered the possiblity that the brass neck may be too thick, but I didn't have chambering problems so I figured it was ok.

Any input will be appreciated.