Hello everyone my name is Darrell and I am new here.

Been hunting and shooting for years, Bullseye, 10 M air pistol, centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles, shotguns, I enjoy it all.

I have owned centerfire rifles made by Rem., CZ, Mauser, Bergara, Winchester, and probably a few others I can’t think of right now.

Recently, I purchased my first savage, a model 16 Trophy Hunter XP in .223. I must admit I have been very impressed. It’s primary purpose is coyote hunting. My only complaint is the tupperware stock. However, despite the flex in the forearm area it shoot remarkably well for a sportier. Most 3 shot groups are 1/2 MOA or just a trade over. It hasn’t shot a 5 shot group over a MOA, and the vast majority are under .75 MOA or a bit less. I did ditch the Nikon scope for better glass. In the past I have shot it off front and rear bags. Today I tried my bipod but it only took two groups to determine that wasn’t going to work. Actually, I didn’t expected it would but I wanted to try it just to find out for sure.

I like this rifle so well I am considering buying another Savage as a target rifle. Pretty much narrowed it down to either a LRPV, BVSS in .223 Rem., or build of my own using the right bolt, left port target action.

I would love to hear your experiences, suggestion and opinionson regarding build verses buy a factory rifle.

Actually, it appears that I can buy a factory rifle for less than building one. However, if I build I will go with a 22” heavy barrel and a stock with an adjustable cheek.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on mounting the 3 screw target action in a Bell and Carlson Tactical Metalist style 2 blind magazine stock by leaving the middle action bolt out to do so.

Thanks in advance for your reply’s.

PS, Lots of great reading here. Thanks to all that contribute.

Darrell