Hello, My name is Cody and I was referred here by some guys at longrangehuntingforum. I am building a budget rifle and I'll admit this will be my first Savage build so I've come to the experts! I am building a 6.5-300wsm on a model 10. I haven't purchased anything yet for the build but my plan is to try to find a model 10 under 500$. But here is my question(s)...

Are ALL model 10's receivers the same? I'm worried that the ejection ports or feed rails will be different on wsm vs say a .308 win. I'm aware the bolt heads are different on standard/magnum calibers but I guess my question is, if I were to buy a model 10 in .308win, could I simply change the bolt head to a magnum head and change the dbm to accept ai wsm cases. I've found that standard model 10's are easier to find than wsm model 10's.

Also, does anyone make aftermarket dbm's for the model 10 if you have a bottom bolt release. Bottom bolt release is all I can find lately but I'd rather have top bolt release.

Lastly, has anyone built a wsm on a small shank action? Does it make much difference in that length of cartridges?

Thanks is in advance.

-C