This has been a long term project. A number of years ago I purchased a Stevens 200 LA 270 Win with the intent of re-barreling to 257 Roberts. I never fired a round through the original 270 barrel.
  1. The first barrel I put on it was an Adams and Bennett 257 Rob. It shot ok averaging 1 MOA. Didn't expect much better.
  2. I stiffened and skim bedded the factory Tupperware stock and used it.
  3. A few years later, in search of better accuracy, I switched to a Wilson 257 Rob barrel, from Ragged Hole Barrels 1:10 twist, light varmint contour. It shot a little better but still and averaged just under 1 MOA which is not as good as some of my factory Savages.
  4. I replaced the Tupperware stock with a Hogue full bed stock and free floated the barrel.
  5. Next decided to get in on the 6.5mm craze and purchased a X-caliber 6.5X55, 5R, 1:8 twist heavy bull sporter barrel and installed it, still no improvement, it still averages around 1 MOA.

• I've tried numerous bullet/ powder combinations to no avail.
  • I've tried 3 different scopes that shoot well on other rifles. The current scope is a Sightron SIII 8-32-56mm.
  • Scope base was Leupold with front dovetail, replaced with EWG 20 MOA and it is confirmed tight.
  • Current rings are Burris Signature Zee but I have tried other rings that were on the other scopes.
  • The barrel nut was replaced with Sin Arms.
  • Recoil lug was replaced with True Precision.
  • I've tried varying the action screw torque
  • It has a Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger adjusted to 16 oz

After all this it still shoots about 1 MOA! I have 2 other Savages on which I installed aftermarket barrels/stocks that shoot bug holes and I have 2 factory stock Savages that shoot <.5 MOA.

I finally have come to the conclusion that the Stevens action is the problem so I shipped the whole rifle excluding scope off the Kevin Rayhill at Stockade to time/true the action work his accuracy magic.

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?