Thread: Anyone ever try readjusting headspace on a factory Savage?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Anyone ever try readjusting headspace on a factory Savage?Update pg2

I have a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots very well. I also have a home-built Savage in 6.5x47 with a Rock Creek barrel in which I set the headspace pretty tight.

The issue I have is that the brass grows significantly on the factory Creed compared to the 6.5x47. As a matter of fact, my Lapua brass for the x47 has been loaded 9 times and I've never had to trim the brass - not even once. FL sizing the x47 is also almost effortless. In comparison, the Creedmoor takes A LOT more force to resize and I have to trim the brass every one or two firings.

I load the Creed with Whidden FL bushing dies and Redding Competition shellholders for a .002" bump. On the x47, I use Hornady FL bushing dies with the same shellholders for a .001" bump.

So here are my questions:

1) Is the easy sizing and lack of trimming on the x47 Lapua because of the tight headspace or because of a tighter body spec? Or both reasons?

2) Would removing and re-installing the factory Creedmoor barrel to a tighter spec (virgin Lapua small primer brass grew .004" - .005" in headspace after firing) be a good idea to make my brass life longer and brass prep easier?

3) Would I be a fool for messing with a rifle that already shoots 1/2MOA or better regularly even if I have to trim and replace my brass more often?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Qbert; 03-09-2018 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Added update pg2 to title