I just recently started trying to sort bullets by bearing surface length. I’m using the Sinclair bullet sorting stand with the .243 comparator. I’ve noticed this issue with other brands of bullets, but I’ll limit this to the Hornady 6mm 105gr BTHP Match bullet. I bought two boxes yesterday and they are from different lots. I can provide the lot numbers if anyone cares. I measured 50 from the first batch and found them to have a median bearing surface length of .562”. Ok fine. So I started measuring the second box and immediately noticed the second lot was longer. After measuring 10 (all I had time for this morning) I found they had a bearing surface length of .596”. A difference of .034”.

So my question is if it is usual for “match” bullets to exhibit .030”+ shift in bearing surface length from one lot to another?

Additionally, since the bullet base would shift .034”... and essentially changing the case volume and start pressure... is this a difference noticeable on paper?

Im running a 6mm BR and my most consistent loads are averaging .253 MoA (my last long ad was using a 105gr Berger and the new lot of Bergers are of a different BSL than the bullets shooting the .253 groups.)

Is this something to be concerned about or a non-issue?

Thanks for reading!