I have been kicking around the idea of building a rifle capable of hitting my 14" square gong at 1000yrds for a long while now. Now that my other toys are getting close to the end of their "off the shelf builds" I am going to start from scratch. This has had me digging through various actions, Rem 700, Win 70, CZ 550, Tika T3, K98's, VZ24's, Mosin Nagant's, etc. Everything was taken into account, but mostly the price of building the rifle. I have a small budget, and have always been someone who enjoyed doing something great with much less. From build cars, to mountain bikes, to shooting, I pride myself on taking the commonly discounted things and beating out others with "better" stuff.

I ran across the article on building a 1000yrd rifle for under $1000 and I was instantly sold. The lack of gunsmithing required for barrel changes and trigger work had me settle on your beloved Savage 110 series rifle with accu-trigger. My wife has been enjoying her MKII BVTS and its ability to hit exactly what she wants out past 100yrds.

So, my plan is this...

Take a maximum budget of $1000 and build a rilfe capable of consistently grouping under 12" at 1000yrds, yet still capable of being used for deer, elk, and other game. This will not be a 30" barreled bench queen, and will be used in foul weather, carried in the field, and fired off hand. I have come down to the caliber of 6.5x55, but am debating if I want to bump it to the BJAI or keep it in the factory ream.

Anyway, here I am, and hello!

Rich