Been working on a 270 WSM build for a while now. It has a model 16 stainless large shank center feed action, a varmint contour Savage barrel and a VLP stock with stainless Savage DBM.

The action seems to be slightly out of shape. The tang wanted to touch every stock that I tried. This stock has been relieved in the tang area and the action is bedded to about 2-1/2 inches in front of the recoil lug. The tang and remainder of the barrel free float.

The barrel doesn't have any roll marking, but has the Savage chamber stamping of a 270 WSM(DD in a circle). The guy I bought it from said it was unfired and he got it from either Numrich or Brownells. I have had it threaded and a muzzle brake installed. The gunsmith that installed the brake noticed a small burr on the crown and lapped it with a brass cone and compound.

Here's a pic of a typical target:

Attachment 4203

Shot number 1 was a fouling shot, so I ignored it. After shots 2 and 3, I moved the scope. Shots 4 and 5 looked okay, but didn't move as far as I thought they would. Shots 6 and 7 were made without any more scope adjustment. This has been an ongoing issue. It'll put two shots together, then the next will be a couple inches away at about 45 degrees.

I thought the scope was bad, but the same thing happens with two other scopes. The scopes were a Vortex PST 4-16x50, a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50.
Thought the scope might be loose and tried different scope bases - an EGW rail, Warne, Weaver and Burris two-piece bases. I have used Burris Signature and Warne rings.

I thought the brake might be coming loose, so I put some blue Loctite on it. Same results. I took the brake off and got very similar results except the shots moved a little closer to straight up and down.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Dana