I recently purchased a 12 BR and had read here somewhere that the action could use some bedding in the laminate stock, which sounded logical.

I ordered up some Devcon (from the link that was moved, using the coupon code of course :) )

Things I think are right:

The tang free floats
The barrel gets wrapped to set free-space
clay or tape goes where I don't want epoxy to go.

Questions:

1. There seems to be different opinions about putting about an inch of barrel in the bedding compound at the receiver. I've looked at a few custom rifles and they range from about 1 1/2" of barrel bedded on a Remington 40X custom shop 338 LM, to stopping behind the recoil lug on others I've seen. Opinions?

2. I hear 65 in/lbs a lot for a torque spec. which I think comes from an aftermarket stock maker's recommendation. Stock has pillars (though they look more like spacers to prevent crushing the stock with the action screws, and not like big fat pillars in the traditional sense) so you think 65 in/lbs would work here?

To clarify, Ive read the bedding article in the paid section and I'll extremely confident in my abilities. I've been designing and fabricating all manner of contraptions using the correct tools for over 20 years and have a pile of tools grinders, sanders, drill presses, a small mill and lathe, even a TIG welder, should the need arise, in the garage.

Thanks in advance