Hey guys (and gals hopefully),

New to the forum here but not shooting, or Savage really for that matter. I've got a few older Savages that I've picked up over the years and a 93R17 GLV I've had 8 years or so. Anyway, I've been pouring over copious amounts of Savage info since picking up my second Axis a couple of weeks ago. I bought the first in .270 back in September for $299.00 for my son as his first hunting rifle to go to South Texas. Then a couple of weeks ago I'm in Academy Sports looking for him another box of Hornady ammo just to have extra and low and behold I walk by the gun counter and I saw them again. A 30-06 Axis was glaring at me! This time with a price tag of $249.00 with a $50.00 rebate making it $199.00. Well since my older son had basically "claimed" my other 30-06 I found myself walking out of there with another Axis. Never in a million years did I think that was going to happen. Never planned it. But I've built and own probably about 9 AR's and after awhile it just gets boring.

So, I've got a couple questions. My 17 has an accutrigger. We all know the Axis trigger ain't all that great. My kid could care less, but I'm the consummate tinkerer. I can't leave mine alone. I've done the spring trick. Yea it's better but it doesn't feel as safe. The accutrigger is obviously much safer than no accutrigger, especially when lightening trigger springs. It's my understanding and I've read it on their website that Savage's position is that if it didn't leave the factory with an accutrigger then there's no way to fit it with an accutrigger. We all know that's been debunked. I've read that right here in the short amount of time I've been lurking on this forum. I can also see their position on the earlier Edge/Axis style trigger housings not being able to accept the accutrigger without modification and Savage not wanting to sell parts for that.

Here's my big question. Is the Axis and Axis II receiver the same and if you had the two receivers side by side could you remove the trigger groups from each rifle and swap them over? It appears to me one of the main changes between the Axis and the Axis II is the accutrigger. In one of Savages own promotional videos on the accutrigger for the Axis II they have them lined up on an assembly line applying loc-tite and I swear they look exactly like the Axis trigger group except for the addition of the accutrigger. If I wished to lighten the trigger up for my son why couldn't I be able to buy and install the accutrigger from Savage and install it in his rifle to where he could have a lighter, safer trigger? Are the two receivers, the Axis and the Axis II the same or not? everything I've been able to find as far as videos and articles are at least 3-5 years old. Surely by now someone would know if this was possible without having to fiddle with the factory Axis trigger spring.

Sorry for the long winded first post! I've just got to know! Thanks, Matt