Maybe this is the wrong section for this post, but I don't really see a gunsmithing thread...

I just got my 3rd Cabelas 12FV as a project gun that I intend on cutting the barrel down. So I have been looking at a lot of DIY barrel crowning articles. There seems to be numerous ways to do it ranging from using a shell reaming tool to a brass screw/marble/oversize bullet and polishing compound.

I was also just reading a thread in the 110-series section on a guy who has a burr on his new rifle crown and there was a recommendation on how to remove it. This made me look at my rifles and sure enough my 12FV .22-250 seems to be less than perfect It already shoots MOA and I wonder if it would tighten up if I worked on it.

Ok, so where is this going. I would love to talk barrel crowning and experiences y'all have had on either having someone do it or you DIYers and what steps you followed. Is the profile really that important? Do you have to have a <insert degree angle here> on the business end? Is it just more important to have a clean cut and transition, no matter if the angle is fixed or rounded?

Do you think that most every factory rifle could benefit from sort of polishing/honing to get that last little bit of accuracy? Maybe this is more important than bedding the action?

Thanks for your thoughts!!