Hey everyone, I am new to this forum but have bought multiple savage rifles. Well unfortunately I've finally come across a troublesome rifle. I paid $1k for a new 10fcp with HS Precision stock .308 caliber. I took it home and I performed a function test and tried to cycle a "once fired brass" in the chamber from another savage. The spent casing went in the chamber by hand but could not close the bolt on the round and the bolt lugs were sticking out by about a centimeter. The bolt was stuck at this point and required a mallet to remove the spent casing.

I checked to ensure the action screw was not protruding and no scope base were installed. I called Savage about the issue and even though it's a $1k rifle I will still be on the hook for shipping. Rather than risk sending the rifle in and risking damage to the rifle do you think i should take it to a gunsmith and can it be done for a reasonable price? (Equal to shipping costs to Savage?)

What do you think the issue is? Too tight of a chamber? Short chamber? Bad headspace? I do feel like giving on Savage.....