Thread: What surface to level gun on to install scope?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

What surface to level gun on to install scope?

I have a model 11 LRH, Talley rings and a Vortex HS-T scope.

The top of the receiver is round and the only place I could find that looked like it was designed to be used to level the rifle is the left side of the receiver by the bolt....it's the only flat surface I could find and it's only about 1/4" wide so I used it. I have a jig to hold the rifle steady when mounting a scope, and I double check things through out the process to be sure nothing moved, I am really particular when it comes to mounting scopes.

I originally tried using the Talley rings bottom halves at the mating surface to the upper ring half once they were torqued but the front and rear rings had different ideas of what level was IE something wasn't machined right on the rings or the rings are designed at a side-to-side tilt.
    So what are you guys using to make darn sure the reticle and bore are in alignment as good as can be?

Originally I had the rings installed for the widest support on the scope but ended up having to move the scope forward and had to swap the rear ring around as the scope was already as far forward as possible with the rings in that position. Once swapped the front and rear rings agreed on what was level was between themselves but didn't agree with the rifles only flat surface. Well just swapping the rear ring front to back moved my POI left AND down 2.5" at 100 yds which makes me think the rings aren't machined correctly.

Is there a way to tell the rings are really true to the center-line of the bore?

Darrell
    Last edited by J.Baker; 04-15-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added spaces to make it easier to read