First off I will admit this problem is on a Marlin XS7 which is a kissin cousin to the Savage. I frequent here all the time but just don't post much (always learn alot). I have removed Savage barrels and installed Savage barrels so I am familiar with the process and have the correct tools. I have struggled with accuracy issues on the Marlin since day one and what I initally found was the recoil lug off center causing the action to tilt - once I fixed this by lightly tapping into alignment groupings improved dramatically and I have been happy with the accuracy. The problem that has persisted is getting a scope to zero and not be maxed out on adjustment - presently the scope is a Leupold VX1 and to get POI = POA at 100yd all the vertical adjustment was maxed out and it just barely got close to POA - I have used the mirror method to recenter scope and the amount of movement in the scope to distance in inches POI was low initally at 100yd is very close within 1-2". By my calculation I need around .025 shim to account for the 25" or so low at 100yd. I have a 20moa base and some shim stock to add to get me there, but here is the question. Doing some internet searching I came across the phrase "barrel droop" and it got me to thinking about the recoil lug being off center and tappping to adjust to center I referenced earlier. Does anyone have experience with barrel swaps where inadequate torque on the nut will affect the barrel tilting down in the receiver? I have thought about removing the barrel, cleaning threads well, and reinstalling would this be recommended or just torque the nut to +/- 35ft/lbs.? Or Do I just install the 20moa base and try it first?