Hello everyone!

I'm about to start a build using a 10FP in .308 that I bought way back in 2007. The rifle is a blind magazine centerfeed model with the 4.4 screw spacing.

My vision for the build is a practical long range rifle, capable of shooting 1000 yards while also being portable enough to hunt with. Most of my hunting is done with archery equipment, but I do have some preference points for mulies and pronghorn in Colorado that I may use for a rifle hunt. I also may use the rifle for some precision rifle matches as time permits. I also reload, but have never dealt with any wildcats/improved cartridges.

I believe I have settled on the 6.5 creedmoor simply due to the fact that I feel the advantages of the .260 are outweighed by the abundance of good factory ammo for those times that I simply want to shoot more than I want to reload. However, if I am missing a more suitable caliber, please feel free to add any input.

As far as the build goes, I just purchased a LRP take-off HS precision stock from the classifieds with the 4.4 spacing and dbm bottom metal. I am hoping this will be compatible with my action. Should I stick with this factory dbm bottom metal, or ship the stock to CDI to have one of theirs installed?

For the barrel, I am thinking I will go with a 20" stainless match criterion or shilen prefit from NSS, although I don't know how to decide between the two. I have considered going as short as 18 and wouldn't be opposed to anything as long as 22. As long as I retain enough velocity to keep a 140 VLD supersonic to 1000, I am fine. I am considering adding a .338 Lapua stealth to my collection for ranges longer than that. I would love to hear the pros and cons of a 20 inch setup (or shorter). The barrel will be spiral fluted and threaded. Any recommendations for those services would be appreciated. I am thinking I will go with the varmint contour. Should I be considering a heavier taper? No intentions of going lighter.

As far as tools go, I planned on ordering a barrel nut wrench from NSS and a 6.5 creedmoor go gauge. Anything I'm missing? Will I need a bench vise?

Thank you to all who take the time to read this. I will make sure to update with pictures and a range report as the build progresses. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk