Seems like some on here still consider shooting past 600 yds to be a black art. Its not. It is 100% math. The shooter that can shoot a 1 MOA group at 100.....can do the same at 1760.....if his gun is up to the task and the spotter is doing his job. The spotter, whether it be the triggerman or a separate spotter is the REAL KEY to LR shooting.

1. Use enough gun. Going transonic is just another variable you don't need. Shorter TOF = less issues. Lots of ways to get to 1 mile supersonic. 7mm 180 or 195 at 3k+ / 30 cal 215-230 at 3k / 338 300 at 2800+. Yeah a 308 can do it, but why make it any harder than it already is? Being able to spot splash is so important at LR. Shoot the biggest fastest rig you can stomach....yeah I know Billy bobs Creed hits at 1 mile. Great, doesn't make it a good choice.

2. Use enough scope. Trying to dial at ELR can be too slow. A Christmas tree setup + rail + 1000yd base zero. Yes you can dial to 1 mile but having both is the easy route.

3. Use a good APP that is CORRECTED properly. Make sure your app matches your DOPE. If it doesn't, tweak it till it does. And make 100% sure you have good data, weather info, windspeed etc.

4. Use a spotter whenever possible. 2 brains are better than 1 and there is a lot going on. A spotter isn't someone who you pick up at the bar. Its someone you have shot 1000s of rounds with that can use glass AND translate the hit or miss into a correction for a 2nd rd hit every time. The spotter is the REAL HERO in LR shooting. Anyone can pull a trigger, calling shots is the real secret.

5. Shoot into backstops that provide FEEDBACK. If I fire a round and cant spot the hit....I AM DONE. Look for dry dusty areas such as vertical bluffs. Avoid shooting into flat areas, this is very difficult to figure the elevation on. Ponds or water are also GREAT for spotting. You can spot your own in water, still helps to have a spotter.

Remember a few things, this stuff is 100% MATH. There is a mathematical reason you miss or hit. It is not magic. Any modern decent rifle is capable of running under .5MOA at 1 mile if over the transonic range and shooting a well developed load with good ES numbers.

All 5 of the above points are important BUT if I had to opine, I would say #5 is the MOST IMPORTANT. I got pretty decent at LR pretty quick because I had a lot of red dirt bluffs with rocks to shoot at, barren wheat fields and a couple of huge ponds full of turtles that you could set up on from above and anywhere from 800 to 2500.

Shooting without FEEDBACK is just making NOISE. 1000 yd BR targets ARE 6 FEET SQUARE for a reason. If you cant spot your hits....you will NEVER improve, you will never figure out WHY you missed. I see a lot of targets set up in grass when there is a perfectly good bluff with no grass 400 yds behind the target.

And there is always a reason for a miss OR a hit. This is just math, there is no VOODOO involved, if you can't figure WHY a shot is hitting where it is......quit shooting until you figure it out.....one more time....ITS MATH.

We are very lucky today with the equipment and information available. When I started LR it wasn't this way, no lasers, no internet, chronographs were for the rich, cell phone apps? There were no cell phones and we didn't know what an APP was. A windmeter was 3 ft wide. A rangefinder was 6 ft long and took 10 minutes just to set up. Scopes? Wow. No reticles and maybe 50 MOA total. The Shepherd was the state of the art bad boy back then lol. Bullets....well do ya like the SMK or the SMK or the SMK?

Point is its easier than ever to play this game BUT if you cant MEASURE something you cant improve it. Find a place that you can shoot 1 mile BUT most importantly find a place you will SEE a MISS out to 100+ ft AROUND your target EVERY TIME. Or use a 100 ft wide and tall piece of paper.

With the advances available today, good loading techniques and some practice that provides GOOD FEEDBACK, anyone can shoot under 1 MOA at 1 mile. Some days the wind will make this hard but even in the wind its doable. Its not magic, there is no VOODOO involved its all MATH. If you can HOLD 1 MOA at 100yds. You can HOLD 1 MOA at 1 mile. Lot more variables in play at 1760 but everyone on this board CAN HOLD 1 MOA. The rest is some really complex math......that you have a cell phone to take care of.

Hope this helps someone. I see a lot of posts on LR but few have stressed GOOD FEEDBACK. If you cant tell WHERE you are hitting.....quit shooting, you are burning powder and your throat for no reason.