I did get a look with a x10 magnifier and it seemed like it might be some finish material, it makes sense. It was a couple threads down though. I did get the bottoming tap and was worried about getting it started but that went fine. It started OK in all the holes but had trouble about 2-3 turns down. One hole, second from back, has a flaw now and the screw wants to get crooked after a couple of turns but if you hold it straight it lines up and goes down fine. I was very glad I bought the bottoming tap when it came time to do the front hole.

I found some old Savage catalogs here and see the listed the 12FV as a standard model several years ago. So far I am happy with it. People who have handled it say they are impressed with how smooth the action is. The stock is plastic but seems stiffer and stronger than one I saw being used as an example in how to bed an action on some other thread here. It need to upgrade to wood, but will do fine for now until I decide what to get.

It took most of a box of 20 cartridges to get the scope zeroed. It's the first time I've shot a centerfire rifle and there was some practice involved. I shot 2 or 3 rounds at 30 ft. and then moved to 100 yds. but couldn't find the first shot or two. The last 2 rounds where under an inch on the center of the target. I have the trigger set light and a couple rounds went down range a little before I intended, it's just a much lighter trigger now than my Model 19.

When I got home the scope looked like it was backed up to the rear of the rail, so I think it moved a bit. So I'll check it's vertical and rethink if I like where it is and then torque it down a little harder. I don't have a torque wrench for something this little.