Hey everyone. I have decided to buy a hunting rifle when tax season comes. I've figured a rough budget of 600 dollars. I'm thinking bolt action, 400 dollars for the rifle and 200 for a decent scope. While looking around and talking to people I keep hearing lots of expensive makes and models, 600 plus just for a bare rifle no scope or sights, that's not realistic for me. I'm also interested in keeping with a common caliber as I've had bad experience with odd expensive calibers before. I have an axis in 270 and was thinking about staying in 270. I have looked around and found a lot of rifles that I like, marlin xs7, ruger predator American in 308. Many have suggested a savage 10/110 or 11/111 trophy hunter package. I have heard something's about them but don't really know much about them. I live near the Canadian border in ny state and would be hunting deer. I would like something that I can teach my son to shoot when old enough and will be around for years, almost like this will be my last rifle for a long time. My issue with my axis is the bolt is very hard to run. It takes a lot of effort to open and close it.