Been a long wait....but it finally happened.

Since taking up shooting sports a few years ago (like I really need another hobby) I've been shooting targets only when his opportunity to go deer hunting fell into my lap.

So I have this picture of my dad proudly standing next to a nice buck taken in 1941 on Christmas leave from the Army. He'd just graduated from boot camp and bought a sporterized 30-40 Krag from a local pawn shop. He's holding the gun in that picture, and as far as I know, he never shot it in my lifetime.

It sits in my closet now, and every now and again I'll take it out, clean it and maybe put some holes in paper with it. It still shoots quite well.

This hunt was going to be in a blind, and I took the mature doe at about 90 yds. shooting with a peep sight just at sunset under cloudy skies.

She ran about 100 yds and collapsed, shot through the lungs, and with that I finally closed the loop on my dads hunt some 75 years ago, shooting a gun made in 1889 and saw action in the Spanish American War.

All that didn't matter to the doe, of course.

In about 5 weeks, when he's home from college I hope to take my son out to get his first deer. It'll be a buck of course.

Can't wait!