Hey Gang:

Found this forum googling for Savage Axis scopes. Here's my story and hope someone can help.

I bought the Savage Axis .308 combo from Dick's Sporting Goods for my son this past Christmas, 2015. It came with the standard Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. We never shot the rifle until last month when it was time for gun season for deer. While sighting in the rifle, the recticle in the scope broke after 3 shots - you could see the crosshairs dangling. All we'd done is adjusted about 20 clicks to try and get 3-4".

Been trying to get a proper replacement from Bushnell ever since. The guys there are super nice but can't seem to send me the correct scope and my son has lost the first month of deer season as a result.

On the AXIS, there is not a rail - it's a fixed mount with only one notch for the rings to mount to. I guess Bushnell doesn't make, or is out of stock, on the original scope, so they have now UPS 2nd Day air me two differnet scopes, neither of which fit.

Same issue every time - I take off the top half of the rings, set the scope down, and in order to get the front ring to screw down, I can't get the scope pushed far enough forward. The tube isn't quite long enough. The back part of the scope is pushed as far forward as possible, flush against the back rings (which mount fine), but the front ring won't fit over the scope because it's too short.

I'm pulling my hair out here and I don't know how to get a scope that will definitely fit this and have about given up on Bushnell. I keep asking them to just send the same original scope or since they make Savage Axis, to go into their inventory and pull off a scope --- but they can't seem to get this right and I've lost a month of hunting as a result.

See attached pic - on this pic, this is the newest replacement Bushnell sent - it's maybe a 1/2" too short. To be clear -- the mounts DO NOT MOVE or SLIDE forward or backward they are fixed with only ONE notch for the rings to mount to, so the length of the tube is critical.